Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Millie Forte - The Fall




A few weeks ago Millie Forte released a new track titled "The Fall" and for a while I couldn't fully get into the song. Despite my uncertainty about the track I found myself continuing to play it, over and over and over again. Millie's beat, with its satellite blips, synth flutters, warbles and keyboards, and pounding drum patterns, is so minimal that at times it seems as though it's lacking a layer of depth to its sound. It's as if the beat is playing peek-a-boo with you before it fully reveals itself.

But if the the beat is the reserved glimpse into the song then the lyrics are the heartfelt reveal. It's here where Millie finds depth within himself by displaying the jaded soft heart of a man who's felt love's burn. With a weary candor the star child sings freely about his fear of falling in love, once again, "Going no where / Too afraid to love again, like being free / But without love, find me bitter / Just a broken complexity"

Even underneath that fear is a man who, despite his apparent diamond hard skin, still desires love,"I won't let you in / And I won't let it out / And I talk a lot of shit / But that's irrelevant / I just wanna feel something heaven sent / Hell, I just wanna feel."

It's that sincerity that keeps you listening and waiting patiently as the beat eventually mesmerizes you with it's subtle embrace and his lyrics lock you in. Before you know it, you've fallen for the song."Just a broken heart falling from above / Didn't know what love was, Now I do / It's the fall (down yeah)."

Check out "The Fall" at Millie's MySpace page.

*Side Lipton: I would REALLY love to hear this song performed with a live orchestra and backing band. It would be EPIC!*

No comments:

Post a Comment