Sunday, September 13, 2009

How I Remember 2Pac

I was only 10 when Pac died so my memories of him are shaped through the eyes of a child. But I remember the time and the music. I remember my brother and sister and how they LOVED him. Almost EVERYONE we went to school with loved him. He was clearly a voice for the people. I remember looking back at his life throughout the years and thinking that he was a myriad of things; Powerful, militant, crazy, an asshole, a leader, a (SEXY) lover, highly intelligent, and one of the dopest lyricists.

Everything about him seemed so urgent and passionate. However, I remember seeing a picture before his death and the look in his eyes was that of someone who was sad and tired. In a way I thought he wanted death. Looking at what he'd been through, the state of hip-hop at the time and the media's influence on it, it would be reasonable to assume he would want such solace. But seeing interviews of him from around that time there was still a fire in him. That unrelenting passion that's always associated with Pac.

In the end what I remember is a man and a lyricist who was all at once many things to many people and what I know is that 13 years later I can look back with the eyes of an adult and see that he changed Hip-Hop and the world around him.









No comments:

Post a Comment