Friday, October 16, 2009

A Voyage To Atlantis, By Way Of Love



"She's my lady, now and ever / Ooh, how can I know? / Can we go all the way, together / Ooh, let it be so."

My father once told me that no one really knows if their relationship will work. He didn't even know if his relationship with my mom would last. As he put it, "One morning I woke up and realized that we were still together. We made it this far." I appreciate him for being honest enough to admit that "you just don't know."

Can I go on my way without you? / Ooh, how can I know? / If I go on my way without you? / Ooh, where would I go?


I don't think anyone goes into a relationship thinking that it's going to end...but for some, it does. Love, despite it's amazing strength, is not enough to make a relationship last. You need a HELL of a lot of other IMPORTANT things, too. But love, itself, is resilient. It lasts...even when you're heart is breaking...even when you know your relationship is dying. And for some, even the ones that don't want to admit it, it lives on long after the relationship has died.

"So we'll say our last goodbye / And we'll make it this time / Set sail with me / To a paradise out beyond the sea / Atlantis is back to you / I'll always come back to you."

I never "set sail," again. My time at sea, in that relationSHIP, had come and gone (Now I just chill on the beach and stare at hot guys). But for others the love is still there. So, for you, I present you with The Isley Brothers' "Voyage To Atlantis."...set sail, baby.



Check out a live version of the song below.

No comments:

Post a Comment