Wednesday, September 22, 2010

I'll Drink To That (Nicki) Haterade.


Upon first listen I thought this song was....basic. A basic Pharrell chorus, a basic Neptunes beat (a throwback to their early days), Gucci as his usual BASIC self, and a basic verse from Nicki Minaj. But after several more spins I find that the song is basic, it's just simplistic and that's not a bad thing. It's simplicity is its addictive attraction. The Neptunes minimalist layers of synth rhythms and drum patterns make for a 90's style, head-nodding soundscape. And while I'd prefer a verse from the inafamous Roman Zolanski persona what we get is a concise and undeniable verse from Nicki herself. She lets go of her alter-egos and let's you see her in a vulnerable state of mind, making her and the song all the more endearing. Simply put, this song is a win in my book and another notch for lyrical domination under Nicki's belt.




No comments:

Post a Comment