Thursday, April 22, 2010

Gotta Be Young, Fresh N' New




When the world feels like it's coming and
And you don't know what you know
And you think about what's holding you
It's relatives and clothes
Just leave it all behind, you gotta get away
You gotta get away
Everybody


They say every little birdie has to grow up and leave the nest some day. However, what I tend to see in life is little birdies leaving only to come back to the nest they call home. Or sometimes little birdies decide to set up shop in the next branch over, living simple, regular lives close to home.

That seems to work for them but for me every day seems to be a reminder that I'm different from those other little birdies, namely my siblings and most of my other younger family members. I've spent most of my life wanting to be regular just like them, fearing moving too far away because no matter how disconnected I feel from my family they are all that I've known. But I've always known that regular was something I could never be.

The reality is that I'm the little birdie that can't remain in the nest or even stay near it. My ties to my family have changed and my ties to my freedom and individuality have grown stronger. I will always carry the lessons and love of my family with me wherever I go but I move where my happiness is and if that doesn't involve family or other people then that is an outcome that I can accept without fear.

No comments:

Post a Comment